[UPDATE - NOV. 6, 2013: Thank you Ferndale voters for re-electing me to another term as your Mayor! The campaign, like the city itself, was successful thanks to so many people with passion and talent. I'm grateful to all those who supported me, and I'll work hard to gain the support of those who didn't. Dave]
I never dreamed, more than 20 years after discovering Ferndale, that I’d have the honor of serving as Mayor. While much has changed since then, the best things about Ferndale are exactly the same. We make newcomers feel welcome, and make neighbors feel like family.
I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished despite a tough economy – including a two-year balanced budget that trims another $900,000 in expenses and yet still preserves police and fire staffing levels and invests in the services that will keep our city strong.
But there’s more I’m eager to continue working on, including:
- renovating our dilapidated courthouse and police station by next year – without tax dollars;
- expanding my Mayor’s Business Council, which has helped attract a 35% increase in new investment;
- the new Ferndale Clean Sweep program to spruce up neighborhoods and reduce code violations;
- improvements to our parks, in conjunction with the new Blue Ribbon Commission on Ferndale Parks;
- upgrades to Livernois and W. Nine Mile to transform them into more vibrant, successful streets.
I’m grateful for all the support and friendship I have received. I know our best days are yet to come, and together we will keep moving Ferndale forward.